1 hour, 20 minutes
- 2 cups shredded and squeezed beets
- 2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup The Comfort
- 2 tsp salt
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 cup 2% milk
- [optional-if not using liners] nonstick cooking spray
- Lay a (minimum 14x14) strip of cheesecloth (or a clean dark dish towel) on top of a cutting board. Peel the beets and grate them over the cheesecloth. Red beet juice stains everything it touches, which is why you should use either a disposable cheesecloth or a dark kitchen towel.
- Once you have grated the beets, gather them in the center of the cheesecloth and squeeze into a sink. This step will ensure that your muffins have the right texture. Set grated beets aside
- Mix the dry ingredients together in a bowl.
- Add the wet ingredients (other than the beets) to the dry ingredients and mix until incorporated
- Fold the beets into the mix last, and stir until just incorporated.
- Cover the mixture and place in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 415 degrees
- Fill each well in the muffin pan with a liner or spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- Fill each muffin well to 2/3 full, and place muffin pan in the oven for 10 minutes
- After 10 minutes, turn heat down (without opening the oven door) to 350 degrees and cook for an additional 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the center most muffin in the pan comes out clean.
- Serve at room temperature.
- Box grater- cheese cloth or dark kitchen towel
- Large mixing bowl- whisk- silicon spatula
- Dry measuring spoons
- Dry measuring cups
- Muffin pan
- [Optional] Muffin liners